Sunday 11 – Saturday 31 July 2021
Welcome to the inaugural Ports of Jersey ‘Runway Challenge 21’ – a fun, quirky and exciting way to ‘run’ the distance of some of the airport runways across the British Isles and mainland Europe – albeit ‘virtually’ – whilst raising much-needed funds for four Jersey-based charities.
This event has been designed to encourage anyone and everyone to take part, regardless of your age, fitness, ability or even where you are in the world. Don’t worry that we said ‘run’ – in fact, you don’t even need to own a pair of trainers to take part!
The challenge is to complete the equivalent length of a runway (or a combination of runways) any way you like. How, when and where you choose to cover the distance is entirely up to you. There are options for the serious runners or cyclists among you – including the ultimate challenge of 21 runways over the 21 days of the challenge, totalling 110 km – as well as achievable distances for ‘couch to 5k’ runners, family strollers, hikers, dog walkers or skaters. Why not take to the sea on a paddle board or canoe!
The overall aim of this year’s challenge is to raise £20,000 for Ports of Jersey’s four chosen charities: Beresford Street Kitchen, Caring Cooks of Jersey, Dementia Jersey and Healing Waves. The challenge will be fun and all-inclusive with many equal chances along the way to win some fantastic prizes.
Why are we doing it?
Every year, each of our chosen charities hosts an exclusive ‘run the runway’ fundraising event at Jersey Airport. Unfortunately, due to current restrictions this cannot happen this year – so, we’ve come up with this alternative challenge, which we believe will be just as exciting as the real thing and not just limited to Jersey Airport – you can choose from a series of virtual runways from our partner airports across the British Isles and mainland Europe.
But don’t just take our word for what we’re doing, why we’re doing it and how it will benefit. View our event film below:
Taking on the challenge is simple; decide on the following, before entering online:
- Do you want to take on the challenge as a solo entry, junior entry or as a relay team of five people? Individual and junior participants complete their own challenge, albeit this may be with friends and family. Relay teams split the overall challenge and accumulate a total time/distance for their team
- Which runway or group of runways is the best match for the distance you want to cover over a 21 day period? You can decide on a one runway challenge all the way to the ultimate 21 runway challenge, with many distance options in-between.
- How will you complete your chosen runway distances? You can walk, run, use a wheelchair, cycle, use a hand-bike or trike, skip, SUP, kayak, swim, row or something else entirely? Will you do it in sports clothing or fancy dress? The decisions are entirely yours!
- Choose your own safe course to complete your runway(s) distance. You are responsible for selecting your own course in your local area. All we ask is that you plan your courses safely and comply with any physical distancing restrictions, which may be in place.
- Pick your challenge buddies! Will you participate with friends, family, colleagues or even your pet. It’s up to you!
- Finally, decide when you want to take part in the 21 days between 11 to 31 July 2021. Feeling competitive? You can submit your challenge results and you’ll appear on our leaderboard display.
For more detailed information on each challenge category, please choose the option from the Event Info tab above.
The 21 Runways
Select your chosen runway distance(s) from this list. Runways are all part of Ports of Jersey’s planned summer 2021 route network. You can pick just the one, or choose from the category groups, with distances between 10 km and 45 km, all the way up to the full 21 runways.
|9||Isle of Man||3.6K|